Angus and Dundee
Argyll and Bute
Ayrshire and Arran
Dumfries and Galloway
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Glasgow and Clyde Valley
Hebrides and Isles
Local informationAccommodation in Argyll & Bute
Argyll & Bute council
Transport in Argyll & Bute
Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute
Location: Inveraray Castle, Castle Road, PA32 8XE (map and directions)
Inveraray Castle © WF Millar
Open to the public are the main reception rooms and a suite of former bedrooms, an area which is kept separate from the private part of the house.
History of Inveraray CastlePrevious to the current structure, the original Inverary Castle was located just 80m away on the property, which was built in the 1400s when Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochawe moved the seat of the Campbell Clan from Innis Chonnell Castle (now overgrown) to Inveraray Castle. It is unknown exactly which year the castle was built, but it would seem it occurred around the time of 1445 when Sir Duncan Campbell received the title of Lord Campbell.
The construction of the castle brought the settlement of the small town of Inverary around 1472, which then became a royal burgh in 1648 and evenutally, due to its location and natural harbour, became the legal and administrative centre of the County of Argyll by the early 1700s.
The town’s growth grew simulatenously with the growth in success of the Campbell Clan. In 1457 Colin Campbell was promoted to first Earl of Argyll, Archibald, 2nd Earl of Argyll became Master of the Royal Household and died alongside King James IV in 1513. Thereafter followed some less successful feats such as the 5th Earl of Argyll‘s loss while commanding the army of Mary Queen of Scots at the battle of Langside in 1568, the 7th Earl of Argyll‘s infamous attacks on rival clans, and the execution of both the 8th Earl of Argyll (promoted to Marquess of Argyll) and the 9th Earl of Argyll who opposed Charles II and James VII, respectively.
In 1701, the 10th Earl of Argyll was promoted to 1st Duke of Argyll and John, 2nd Duke of Argyll commanded the government forces that effecitvely ended the 1715 Jacobite Uprising. It was his son, the 3rd Duke of Argyll who converted Inverarary Castle into a more prestigious and comfortable castle designed by architect Roger Morris.
By the 19th century, the 8th Duke of Argyll became a cabinet minister in the British government and the 9th Duke of Argyll married Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria. In 1877 fire destroyed much of the new Iverarary Castle, and Anthony Salvin was asked to completely re-design the castle into a Scottish baronial style. Tall conical roofs atop 4 corner towers, the castle was raised from 2 storeys to 3, with ceiling windos lighting the third floor. After World War II the castle was again renovated and opened to the public in 1953, but the a serious fire caused more damage to the castle in 1975, after which it was again restored by the 12th Duke of Argyll.
View Inveraray Castle in a larger map
Other castles in Argyll & ButeCarrick Castle
|Aberdeenshire | Angus & Dundee | Argyll & Bute | Ayrshire & Arran | Dumfries & Galloway | Edinburgh & the Lothians | Fife | Glasgow & Clyde Valley | Hebrides & Isles | Highlands | Perthshire | Scottish Borders | Stirlingshire|
|Home | Contact | Sitemap||www.whichcastle.com © 2010|