Angus and Dundee
Argyll and Bute
Ayrshire and Arran
Dumfries and Galloway
Edinburgh and the Lothians
Glasgow and Clyde Valley
Hebrides and Isles
Accomodation in Angus & Dundee
Local bus routes
Castles in Angus and Dundee
Contrasting landscapes including rugged coastlines, sweeping lowlands and Highland Glens, this
area of Scotland offers natural beauty, culture and tradition from ancient populations, to kings and
queens and the adventurers and explorers in between. Known as the City of Discovery for the scientific achievements made there, Dundee sits on the
Firth of Tay and is also the perfect jumping off point to discover the castles of Angus and Dundee.
Within Dundee City itself sits Dudhope Castle, medieval tower house originally built in the 13th
century by the Scrymageour family, who sold this Category A listed building in 1668 to John Graham
of Claverhouse, later known as "Bonnie Dundee". Mains Castle is a nearby 16th century castle
located in Caird Park. Also built in the 16th century is Powrie Castle, which was razed shortly after
being built and remains a ruin today. Ballumbie Castle built by the Lovell family was a third 16th
century castle in Dundee, which, along with the 19th century Ballumie House, are located just
outside of Dundee.
On the eastern edge of Dundee sits Claypotts Castle, a medieval structure in suburban West Ferry
built in 1569-1588 by John Strachan, and is still almost perfectly intact but no longer inhabited.
Under two miles from Claypotts Castle is the historic Broughty Castle completed in 1495. Broughty
Castle remained in military use until 1932, and in 1969 the castle opened to the public as a museum.
A 15 mile drive northeast up the coast from Broughty Castle is the privately owned Colliston Castle,
sitting inland near Arbroath. This castle was built in 1545 by Scotlandís last cardinal, Cardinal David
Beaton and continually altered and extended in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Glamis Castle © Kylemunro1
5 miles from Colliston Castle is Ethie Castle, a 14th century castle dating back to 1300, originally built
by monks of the nearby Arboath Abbey, passing through the hands of David Beaton, purchased by
the Carnegie family, and continues to today to be privately owned.
10 miles from Ethie Castle along the coast is Red Castle of Lunan, a ruined fortified house originally
built in the late 12th century to repel Viking invasions. The tower is a protected category A listed
On the way to the inland town of Brechin is Kinnaird Castle, which sits among 1300 acres of
parkland and is home to the Earl and Countess of Southesk. It has remained in the family for the
last 600 years. The 13th century Brechin Castle is located in Brechin proper, and is the seat of the
Earl of Dalhousie, who is the clan chieftain of Clan Maule of Panmure in Angus, and Clan Ramsay of
Dalhousie in Midlothian.
8 miles north of Brechin is the ruined 16th century Edzell Castle which was begun in 1520 by the
Earl of Crawford. Edzell is now in the care of Historic Scotland and open to the public. Continuing
now southward, 10 miles from Edzell is Melgund Castle, near Aberlemno. A 16th century privately
owned residence, Melgund is said to have been built on the orders of Cardinal David Beaton.
Claypotts Castle © Ydam
Just 6 miles from Melgund is Finavon Castle on the River South Elsk. Finavon is a 17th century ruined
castle and a 19th century mansion home which combine to complete the former estate of the
Lindsay Earls of Crawford.
Heading 16 miles west, Balintore Castle, a privately owned Victorian Category A listed building near
Kirriemuir which remained a ruin until 2007, when it was snapped up with intent to restore the
Moving back down southeast through the Leys of Cossans is Glamis Castle, situated near the village
of Glamis, and home to the Earl and Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne. This castle is open to
the public, a very popular tourist destination as it was the home of the Queen Mother and Princess
Margaret, her second daughter, was born there. Glamis Castle features on the reverse side of ten
pound notes issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland.
15 miles further east of Glamis Castle is Guthrie Castle, located 18 miles northeast of Dundee. This
privately owned property was originally built in the 15th century though underwent work in the 19th
century to complete the structure as it looks today.
Angus & Dundee castles